Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sweaty Armpits

I've been sweating for months. I sweat at night, in the day, my palms are clammy and my feet are wet. Why you ask? It's simple, my husband and I have been contemplating home schooling our three boys for the past several months. Thus...I sweat.

This whole notion came about probably at the start of this past school year. There wasn't one specific reason we started to talk about home schooling as an option. It was more like a compilation of many different reasons. We currently have a 3rd grade son, a kindergarten son and a pre-school aged son.

About two months ago I read the book "Family Driven Faith," by Voddie Baucham, Jr. (highly recommended read for families considering home school). It was at this point, I started more frequently conversations about homeschooling our kids with my husband. He was very supportive from the very beginning and we started to move forward in our investigation of this "educational phenomenon" from there. The sweating began...

When I say sweat, I don't necessarily mean it in the bad way. You know like, "Man I'm really sweating seeing that cop in my rear-view mirror." It's more like, "Man, I'm really sweating as I sit crouched in the blocks at the start of the 4x100 relay at Drake Relays," kind of sweat. You know, a good adrenaline induced sweat. A heart pumping excitement based sweat. A God-given sweat borne of love He's given me for my kids.

Back to my story...

After weeks of calling on good friends who home school, checking out every possible book on homeschooling at the public library, researching home schooling on the internet until my fingers bled and my eyes dried out, messaging all known home school families on facebook, interrogating home school kids in an undercover manner while at Sunday School (kidding!!!...maybe!!??!!) and just generally devouring everything there is to "know" about home school I decided this...I'm still lost.

If I've received one consistent piece of information from EVERYONE I've talked to about being a home school family it's this: You just have to do what works for you (AND, you don't have to wear a denim jumper). :)

So, we're about 95% sure we're jumping into this abyss/adventure and praying ferverntly we'll all come out unscathed on the other side. We will attend a conference in June for home school families where I pray I'll receive divine revelation on which curriculum we should use.

My heart is to post on this blog so you can follow our journey into the land of home schooling. Good, bad, ugly or indifferent...our story is yours to follow. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment