Friday, May 6, 2011

I wonder what 2am looks like...

when you know you have to rise and shine and teach school the next day?? Our youngest was up last night vomiting and it occured to me, if I home school, I'd have to get up the next day and STILL be ready to teach my kids. Or would I?

You see, some of the appeal of teaching our kids at home is the flexibility offered by setting our own "rules." I've been so engrained by the school schedule that I know I'm going to fight with myself when our days go against the "normal" structure of a school day. I'm prepping myself for that on a daily basis. I want to be flexible with a sense of duty. Does that make sense?

So, last night as I was using our carpet cleaner on my son's bedroom carpet, I was thinking, if we were home schooling I wouldn't have to get everyone out of bed at 6:30am to get them out the door at 7:10am. I could let them sleep in and that way I would feel a bit more rested when the day started. But, instead, I was up at 6:30am staring at my ceiling thinking, "I just want to lay here for another hour."

I'm partially writing these thoughts down for myself to maintain sanity in the future. Marti, when you read this in 9 months, and you've been up all night with a sick kid, and you still feel the need to do a full day of school with the kids...DON'T. I give you permission to take it slow. Breathe. Rest. Look at the day for what it is, a sick day, and don't push it. There...feel better??

No comments:

Post a Comment